Re: Keeping SSH session alive over a restrictive proxy/firewall

From: Shigehiko SASAKI
Subject: Re: Keeping SSH session alive over a restrictive proxy/firewall
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 10:56:15 +0900 (JST)

Hi Taylor

> Any Ideas? The best solution I have found is to run 'top' when I'm not using
> the connection, but I don't always remember to do this. The silence
> notification feature of screen seemed promising (e.g. setup a recurring
> notification occuring every 3 minutes) but the notifications only occur
> one-time, not continuously.

Luckily PuTTY has the heartbeat feature to send keepalive packet.
You can avoid unexpected disconnection using this feature.

See PuTTY Documentation bellow
http://www.tartarus.org/~simon/puttydoc/Chapter4.html#config-keepalive
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/faq.html#faq-idleout

//Shigehiko SASAKI