Re: Is this possible?

From: Phil Snowberger
Subject: Re: Is this possible?
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 14:08:38 -0400

On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 04:16:49PM +0200, Simon Olofsson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> it would be really nice, if you could post the relevant parts of your
> configurations. I have the same setup and such a feature would be
> nice.

Let's see... I got rxvt-unicode from CVS and applied this patch to it:
http://www.eden.rutgers.edu/~deryni/urxvt-urgent.diff

It didn't apply cleanly so I had to read the patch, get a general idea,
and then manually patch it myself.  In the end, for my urxvt, turning
urgent off/on is not an option -- it's always on, which is fine for me.
Further, I don't know if you will even need to apply this patch, since I
compiled mine in Feb 2006, and I don't know if the patch has been
incorporated into CVS.

After that, I test it by starting a urxvt running bash or whatever and
type  e.g. 'sleep 2; echo -e "\a"', then go to another desktop.  The
bell character should cause ion3's notification thinger to tell you that
that desktop has activity.

If that works just fine, time to get it working inside screen.  So
screen your bash session, then do the same 'sleep 2; echo -e "\a"' test,
and if it doesn't work at first, fiddle with the visual/auditory bell
setting (^A ^G by default).

Once that works, time to get your applications to beep at you when you
want to be notified.  The relevant settings for irssi are:

/set beep_msg_level = MSGS NOTICES DCC DCCMSGS HILIGHT
/set bell_beeps = ON
/set beep_when_away = ON
/set beep_when_window_active = ON

My .muttrc contains:

set beep_new=yes

Other applications are just as easy to set up, if they're configurable
enough.

hth,
--Phil

--