Re: screen-256color terminfo entry?

From: Nikolai Weibull
Subject: Re: screen-256color terminfo entry?
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 13:15:02 +0200

[A lot of confusion it seems...]

I've been very sick during the last week, which has meant that I
haven't been able to sit at the computer at all.

I did post a link to my earlier posting to this list, but gmane sadly
replaces all @ signs with <at>, so it wasn't very helpful it seems.

Anyway, here's a link to the archives at savannah:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/screen-users/2005-10/msg00014.html

and a direct link to my terminfo definition that was attached to that message:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/screen-users/2005-10/txtt6QidxbtQi.txt

Using it, everything should work fine.

I did remember one other thing I had to do to launch mutt from screenrc:

screen -t 'mail' $SHELL -c "TERMCAP= mutt"

because screen still (foolishly, as has been previously discussed)
sets $TERMCAP, which in the case of ncurses and mutt for some reason
overrides the following statement in the ncurses man-page:

           If  the  ncurses  library  has been configured with termcap
           support, ncurses will check for a terminal's description in
           termcap form if it is not available in the terminfo database.

Anyway, make sure to add

 unset TERMCAP

to your shell's initialization-script or other programs may get
confused as well.

Finally, cga, you seem to be trying to do too many things at once.
Start with a clean setup, try to add one feature, e.g., 256-color
support, utf-8 support, function keys, or whatever, and make sure that
it works before moving on to the next step.  It's also wise to
document your progress, both for yourself and perhaps for others.

Also, remember that you need a special version of ncurses for
wide-character support.  Without it, you won't get correct
utf-8-output from mutt.

 nikolai