Re: attaching detached sessions to the current one

From: Joe Zbiciak
Subject: Re: attaching detached sessions to the current one
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 09:14:46 -0700 (PDT)

Phil,

 I tried something like that once and found it too annoying.  Mainly, I ran
into the oddball sorts of TERMCAP / backspace / etc. issues too often when
logging in from "strange" hosts.  Also, what happens when you ssh from host A
to host B?  If every session I have open is runs screen, it really messes with
ssh'ing host to host.  It's those sort of issues that lead me to desire a
"screen-ultra-lite" that is always safe to fork into.

 Some parts of it become less annoying if screen sprouts the ability to hand
FDs between instances of itself on the local host.  The nested-instance issue,
though, only starts to become sane if screen learns how to detect the nested
instance and has a protocol for giving the illusion that the top-level and
nested instances are a single instance.  (That actually would be really cool.)

 (BTW, I apologize for the new Outlook-style message quoting and formatting.  I
need to see if I can somehow switch the new Yahoo email beta to do more
traditional-style email quoting and formatting.)

 Regards,

 --Joe

We sell Spatulas, and that's all!http://spatula-city.org/~im14u2c/
http://sdk-1600.spatula-city.org/