Re: Article about screen scripting

From: Ian A. Tegebo
Subject: Re: Article about screen scripting
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 08:33:15 -0700

On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 11:06:34PM +0200, Gerhard Siegesmund wrote:
> I hope the article is of some help. I you have annotations please tell
> me.
One comment is that 'screen -X' will be disabled if you have set a
screen password.

Here are some of my annotations:

--
Basics of screen scripting
screen -X

You might want to mention that you can achieve similar functionality
through the monitoring commands C-A _, and C-A M.

--
Environmentvariable $STY
Checking if you are inside a screen session

Also, you could mention that screen sets TERM to "screen".

--
Getting the contents of a window

I've been wanting to develop a howto for using hardstatus logs and
something like newsyslog/logrotate to keep accounting information of all
of my buffers; thanks for adding some more examples to the list of
things to do with 'hardcopy'.

--
Running a screen window dia-show

I could see this as benefiting from a keybinding and/or a way to quickly
pass in a list of window numbers to cycle through (with a quick way to
get out of it).

--
screen-graph-script
--

While interesting, I'm not sure why I wouldn't bypass screen and just
feed the output of command XYZ through gnuplot itself instead of

> I am right now thinking about writing a small tutorial about the
> multiuser-capabilities of screen, as they also are not very widely
> known, me thinks.
My friends and I are very interested in exploring
multiuser-capabilities; the ACLs seem to be the barrier to entry for us.

Thanks a lot for the work!

--
Ian Tegebo