Re: help with "screen progname args"

From: Buddy Burden
Subject: Re: help with "screen progname args"
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 22:35:23 -0400

Kresimir,

Then I tried to start one program that I made called "fooprog". fooprog is interactive, it reads from stdin and writes to stdout, and when run first asks for a password.

However, when I tried with:
screen fooprog
I got the message: [the screen is terminating].

Sounds to me like "fooprog" is checking to see if its stdin is hooked to a terminal before it will ask for a password. Since it's not, it's bailing. I don't think there's an easy way around that, unless "fooprog" is something that's under your control. I suppose you could investigate an Expect script or something like that, although I don't know if even that will fool it.

I would also like that when I type
screen fooprog
(or something similar), that screen keeps running even after fooprog terminates.

Wow, deja vu ...

If you flip back through the archives, there were just three answers to this very question. Screen's "stuff" command was one (and the one I would have recommended if someone hadn't beaten me to it), and there was something about the "zombie" command, and I forget the other one. It was just in the past few days.

                -- Buddy