Re: fFtT implementation

From: Michael Schroeder
Subject: Re: fFtT implementation
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 16:38:36 +0100

On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 01:03:34PM +0100, Juergen Weigert wrote:
> On Dec 16, 05 12:39:50 +0100, Rafal Maszkowski wrote:
> > > I've promoted rzm to admin and updated the savannah-cvs to screen-4.0.2
> > > Rafal, your turn to get Bill's patch in.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > What about earlier versions? If we do not have original CVS contents we
> > could
> > at least commit all known versions.
>
> Screen development never used CVS before. Michael and myself had a shared
> /project directory back at university. That was all.
>

> > Or maybe not worth bothering?
>
> Hmmm. For historic research? Maybe nice. Yes.
> I have collected a long list of historic versions.
> Should I delete src and restart with an initial checkin tagged V_1_1?
> I guess so.
>

> > And disregarding the versions: don't you think that screen/src shoud be just
> > screen and the other subdirectories on the same level?
>
> The repository name is screen.
> Inside that we have modules. One of which is named screen.
> It looks ugly, but most of the other GNU projects follow this scheme.
> (With gcc, it is even gcc/gcc/gcc )
>
> > What I plan to do is:
> > - establish screen-devel list

Doesn't make sense as the current list isn't high traffic.

> > - include ma sockdr/status patch - I use it successfully since some 2 years

Hmm, I'll have to check this patch. I don't think I have applied
it to the current devel version yet, so either I didn't like it
or something else was wrong.

> > - probably include Bill's patch
> > - maybe some Fedora patches
> > - think about more consistent vi movement in the scroll buffer
> > - work on optimizing resize if time allows (my time resources are very
> > tight)

Who's time resources aren't? ;-)

The resize "slowness" is basically because screen resizes all windows
if you reattach. We could change that to "lazy resize".

> > - release 4.0.3?

Hey, don't release 4.0.3 for us! Or do you want to create a branch?

> That sounds like a plan. Thanks!
>
> > What are plans of the other developers? Are there any?
>
> I'll knock next door:
> Michael, you are currently busy otherwise, right?

No. Please talk to me before sending such mails.

Ok, my plan for 4.0.3 is (as already statet on this mailing list):

Planned features for the next release:

- sending the tty file descriptor from the frontend to the
  backend over the unix domain socket, so you won't get error
  messages after an 'su' to a different user.
- creating a little suid-root multiuser helper, so that multiuser
  mode doesn't need the big screen binary to be suid-root.
- a couple of minor improvements, like the input buffer problem.
- maybe vertical split, if I still have some time left.

Currently the developement version lives inside of my home directory.
We should probably put it into svn or cvs, so that everyone can access
it.

Cheers,
  Michael.

--