Re: movement in copy/scrollback mode

From: bill
Subject: Re: movement in copy/scrollback mode
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 05:43:39 +0000

Aaron Griffin wrote:

On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 07:57:03PM +0000, bill wrote:
Is it possible to get the 'f' and 'F' cursor movement keys in copy/scrollback mode? I've been glancing through the source for all of 15 minutes, and it doesn't appear to be a trivial thing to add. Can anyone familiar with the code gauge the difficulty of adding that functionality? I'd hate to have my first dive into the source be overly frustrating.

bindkey -m f ^F
bindkey -m F ^F

the fFtT family of cursor movement are not for scrolling.
They are standard in readline, and provide really useful
fine grained control over cursor movement.  For some reason,
they are not well-known.

They work as follows: if the cursor is on the 'X' in the string
'abcdefgabcdefgXabcdefgabcdefg' then:
fb  : moves the cursor to the 3rd 'b' (forward to first 'b')
2fb : moves the cursor to the 4th 'b' (forward to 2nd 'b')
Fb : moves the cursor to the 2nd 'b' (backward to 1st 'b')
1Fb: moves the cursor to the 1st 'b' (backward to 2nd 'b')
tb: moves to the 3rd 'a'     (forward to first char before 'b')
Tb: moves to the 2nd 'c'   (backward to first char before 'b')