Current directory

From: sqweek
Subject: Current directory
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 11:54:36 +0800

 What I'm trying to do is alter the behaviour of ^A c to create a new
shell in the same directory as the shell I'm currently in. I
understand this is different to screen's notion of the current
directory which makes things difficult...
 The best I've come up with so far is 'bind "c" stuff "screen \":chdir
.\"\012"', but this has the unfortunate side effects of a) only
working from a shell prompt, b) affecting my command history. Is there
a nicer way to access the shell's environment from screen (or export
to screen's environment from the shell?)?