Re: Reestablishing ssh connections via screen

From: janth
Subject: Re: Reestablishing ssh connections via screen
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 22:50:44 +0200

On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 01:08:43PM -0500, Andy Goth wrote:
> JCA wrote:
> >    I would need to be able to open several, independent screen
> > sessions on different windows, and automatically reattach to each of
> > them correctly and separately after bringing the notebook back online
> > again. Is this possible with a combination of autossh and screen?
>
> One option is to run multiple windows in the screen session.
>
> Here's just enough to get you started:
> - Create new windows with ^a^c
> - Switch windows with ^a^a
> - Delete a window by closing its shell
> - Get help with ^a?
>
> You can have all ssh'es to a given server connect to the same screen
> session, then in each xterm display a different window.

You can even multiplex the first ssh connection (if you are using openssh
version > 3.8.1):
first 'ssh -M -S ~/.ssh/mux.server'
subsequent 'ssh -S ~/.ssh/mux.server'

Authentication only happens in the first ssh connection. All subsequent
multiplexed connections are therefore blazingly fast...

--
Jan Thomas Moldung