Re: new window

From: Joe Zbiciak
Subject: Re: new window
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 10:38:49 -0800 (PST)

Buddy,

As someone else mentioned, expect(1) is probably the
right answer for you.  It comes as part of Tcl/Tk, IIRC.
Here's a snippet of manpage for you:

NAME
    expect - programmed dialogue with interactive programs

SYNOPSIS
    expect [ -dDinN ] [ -c cmds ] [ -[f|b] ] cmdfile ] [
args ]

INTRODUCTION
    Expect is a program that "talks" to other interactive
    programs according to a script.  Following the script,
    Expect knows what can be expected from a program and
    what the correct response should  be.  An interpreted
    language provides branching and high-level control
    structures to direct the dialogue.   In addition, the
    user can take control and interact directly when
    desired, afterward returning control to the script.

Thus, it can even be used to "script" otherwise
"unscriptable" programs.  A real basic use would be
autologin.  I'll leave more advanced uses to your
imagination.  It's outside the scope of 'screen' though.

--Joe