Re: screen as a login shell -- problems with scp

From: Thomas Köhler
Subject: Re: screen as a login shell -- problems with scp
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 08:19:12 +0200

Derek Carter wrote:
> Ok so I use screen quite a bit.  I finally got tired of reconnecting to
> my screen sessions every time I logged in. I made the move to screen as
> my login shell.  Now scp doesn't work. Here is and exerpt of what I get:
>
> $ scp /etc/passwd address@hidden:
> Must be connected to a terminal.
> $
>
> no dice.
>
> I was wondering if anyone else has even tried screen as a login shell,
> let alone seen this problem.

No, I didn't try something like this. But... I would try
something else.
Just use another shell as your login shell and in your startup
file for that shell start screen if $TERM does not contain
"screen". You could also automatically reattach a running screen
session that way. scp would continue working...
On the other hand, you may want to try zssh. You can avoid using
scp that way. :)

Your problem is that scp doesn't allocate a pseudo tty, which
screen relies on. scp doesn't have an option to allocate a tty...

Ciao,
Thomas

--
 Thomas Köhler       Email:       address@hidden