Re: vbell - visual bell, audible bell

From: Phil!Gregory
Subject: Re: vbell - visual bell, audible bell
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 23:44:07 -0400

* Zenaan Harkness <address@hidden> [2004-07-20 09:00 +1000]:
> I uncommented the following, to get visual bell:
>
> # no annoying audible bell, please
> vbell on
> vbell_msg "   Wuff  ----  Wuff!!  "
>
> but instead of the cute message "wuff wuff..." my X terminal does this
> big white-black flash thing, which is really annoying.

termcap stuff.  The xterm entry in termcap or terminfo on your system
indicates that xterm supports a "visual bell".  So screen gets a beep and
then notifies xterm that it should do whatever for its visual vell.  xterm
responds by flashing the screen.  To get the behavior that you want, add
this to your .screenrc:

  termcapinfo xterm '@vb'

--- --
C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot.  C++ makes it harder, but
when you do, it blows away your whole leg.
                       -- Bjarne Stroustrup