Re: Problems trying to access screen after ssh'ing in a new screen ...

From: Juergen Weigert
Subject: Re: Problems trying to access screen after ssh'ing in a new screen ...
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 14:59:08 +0200

On Jun 11, 04 10:43:31 -0400, Eric Youngquist wrote:
> Folks,
>
>     I set to $HOME/screendir in my .cshrc file. I create two screens local
> to my workstation and "screen -ls" works fine. I then ssh to another
> workstation and "screen -ls" returns the following:
>
> % screen -ls
>
> There is a screen on:
> 18032.pts-20.<computername>(Dead ???)
> Remove dead screens with 'screen -wipe'.
> 1 Socket in /users/<username>/screendir.

Yes, that is to be expected. Unfortunatly.
You have your homedirectory mounted on both machines,
thus you see a screen sessions running on the other machine.

Screen only works locally to one machine. To access a screen
session on machine x, you have to ssh to machine x beforehand.

Screen -ls should perhaps better say 'Remote or Dead' instead
of 'Dead'.

sorry,
        Jw.

--