Problems trying to access screen after ssh'ing in a new screen ...

From: Eric Youngquist
Subject: Problems trying to access screen after ssh'ing in a new screen ...
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 10:43:31 -0400

Folks,

    I am having problems trying to acess screen after ssh'ing in a new
screen.  I think that this is suppose to be possible.  Anyway, I am trying
to implement the 'alias n "screen -X next"' to easily cycle screen windows
and it does not work on remotely accessed screen windows.  I am running
screen 4.0.x on Solaris 8.  The remote computer has Solaris 8 as well.  A
co-worker of mine stated that he as seen a similar problem and thought it
had something to do with Solaris 2.6 vs. Solaris 8.  Here is what I did:

    I set to $HOME/screendir in my .cshrc file. I create two screens local
to my workstation and "screen -ls" works fine. I then ssh to another
workstation and "screen -ls" returns the following:

% screen -ls

There is a screen on:
18032.pts-20.<computername>(Dead ???)
Remove dead screens with 'screen -wipe'.
1 Socket in /users/<username>/screendir.

Thanks,
Eric