screen-devel

[screen-devel] using screen for connecting two machines via serial port

From: Elmar Stellnberger
Subject: [screen-devel] using screen for connecting two machines via serial port
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 01:27:03 +0200

Dear maintainers of screen

  Today I wanted to connect two machines using screen:
machine1> screen /dev/ttyS0
machine2> screen /dev/ttyUSB0

The problem about it is that \n does not go to the beginning of a new line but merely one line below without carriage return. I have tried to set onlcr with stty but that does not help. Also I have played with TERM=putty and screen.putty but could not resolve the issue.

  I have discovered the same issue with
machine1> screen /dev/ttyS0
machine2> echo hugo >/dev/ttyUSB0

The goal would of course be to run bash on one computer and screen on the other:
machine1> screen /dev/ttyS0
machine2> TERM=screen.putty bash </dev/ttyUSB0 >/dev/ttyUSB0 2>/dev/ttyUSB0 & echo $!

Same problem here: '\n' does not do an additional carriage return as required.

Anyone here who can help me?

Elmar Stellnberger