screen-devel

[screen-devel] [bug #48662] Backtick in background does not exit when sc

From: Soliton
Subject: [screen-devel] [bug #48662] Backtick in background does not exit when screen exits
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2021 06:58:21 -0400 (EDT)

Follow-up Comment #1, bug #48662 (project screen):

While I agree that I expected screen to send a TERM signal to backtick
processes on exit it's not difficult to rewrite this example to die when
screen terminates. You just have to write it so the loop terminates once it
cannot write output anymore:

bash -c 'while date; do sleep 5; done'

Now date should error if it cannot write to stdout (according to POSIX anyway)
and the loop will terminate.

Since the whole point of backtick programs is to write something to display, I
would expect that usually this is how they'll work anyway but as said a TERM
signal on exit from screen wouldn't hurt.

(Btw, the original example will not die on SIGTERM since it is requesting an
interactive login shell for some reason.)

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?48662>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.gnu.org/