screen-devel

[screen-devel] /tmp/screens race

From: Richard Kojedzinszky
Subject: [screen-devel] /tmp/screens race
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 09:21:28 +0100 (CET)

Dear devs,

I am a happy screen user, but noticed a race condition, the /tmp/screens directory creation. And this makes our services unavailable in the following situation:

Our unix user accounts for different services have a @reboot entry in their crontabs, but as cron starts this entries paralell upon boot, I eventually got some screen instances not starting, and the corresponding error message is sent by cron, stating that /tmp/screens already exists.

It seems that first a check is made for existence of that dir, and if missing, then it is created. In my opinion, an mkdir() could be always called instead stat() and mkdir(), as it implicitly checks the existence, actually does no harm at all, and the result is the same.

Regards,
Kojedzinszky Richard