screen-devel

Re: [screen-devel] new ideas for screen

From: Edward Peschko
Subject: Re: [screen-devel] new ideas for screen
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 14:36:01 -0700

well, a couple of points:

   - no, I'm looking for pattern matching, not tab completion. I don't
want to have to remember my screen name being:

         vim /path/to/very/long/file

         where I could have several of these in different screens.

- the usage (of both pattern matching and multi-buffer search) goes up
dramatically the more windows you have open. If you have 1 or 2
windows, then yes, no big deal. But - if you are managing 30 or 40,
then *yes* it is incredibly helpful because you don't have to remember
which screen you are working on all the time. You can just type in a
contextual string that represents the screen you are working on and
bam - you are there.

Say for example, you have connections to 40 different boxes open. You
don't want to have to do <C-A>" and wade through the menu - you want
to type <C-A> ?<boxname> and go directly there. Likewise, say you were
working on some code, have again 20 windows open, some of which are
tailing logs, one or more of which you know will give a certain error.

Again, you don't want to need to search through all 20 of these
buffers for an error - you want to make screen do the work for you.

All in all, IMO these features would make screen much more scalable
than it is currently, in the number of usable, concurrent sessions it
can support.

Ed