Re: [Savannah-users] Allowing non-fastforward pushes in git

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-users] Allowing non-fastforward pushes in git
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2015 00:48:45 -0700

Nik Nyby wrote:
> I'm trying to remove the history in the git repo for LibreJS.

First let me say that opening with that sentence is pretty scary when
talking to curators of the archive.

> I made a new git repository that I'm trying to push to the old one.

And whenever a repository is changed due to a non-fastforward push it
invalidates everyone's repository who has ever cloned from it.  I know
the repository is only since 9-Dec-2014 but just the same anyone who
has cloned from it will need to reset.  And you just sent an
announcement to info-gnu talking about this repository.

> The git data in the current repo takes over 60MB because of unnecessary
> large files that were checked into the repo in the past. This is a pain
> for people trying to clone the repo and help out with the project.
>
> People will still be able to access the history using the Bazaar
> repository, which I'm leaving alone:
>   http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/lh/librejs/

But you said all of the magic words.  Since all of the history can be
reached in the bzr repository.

> I need someone to run this command on the LibreJS git repository:
>   git config receive.denynonfastforwards false

I opened up fast forwards for that repository.  Go forth and non fast
forward.  I discarded the announcement from the mailman queue for
info-gnu so that there wouldn't be a rush against it until afterward.
You can re-send the announcement again after getting the repository
settled.

Bob