Re: [Savannah-users] Bounces

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-users] Bounces
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 11:24:30 -0700

Karl Berry wrote:
> Sam Geeraerts wrote:
> >     Something like this:
> >     Subject: Bounce action notification
> >         List:       gNewSense-dev
> >         Member:     address@hidden
> >         Action:     Subscription disabled.
> >         Reason:     Excessive or fatal bounces.

Oh!  Bounces outgoing from Mailman to a subscriber recipient.
Now I understand.

> - I see mail on gnewsense-dev revived in december after a couple months
>   of quiescence.  I expect that you got the bounces at the point when
>   enough mail was sent that a bunch of addresses on the list all became
>   known-bad at the same time.  A common scenario.

Ah, yes, that would be a typical situation.

> - When this happens, by default notifications are sent to the list
>   admins.  If you want to disable such notifications (I certainly
>   do disable them for all my lists), on

I don't look at those either.  On a mailing list with a lot of
subscribers there will always be a lot of churn as addresses expire
before being unsubscribed.  That is the purpose of Mailman.  To manage
those large subscriber lists automatically.

> For the record, re what Bob said: while it is true that the FSF admins
> are responsible for lists.gnu.org, there is still a significant
> difference (as Bob knows full well :) between lists and the other FSF
> servers (www, ftp, ...): a few Savannah hackers can actually log in to
> lists and look at (some) aspects of the configuration (though not change
> anything), and create/remove lists and archives.  And generally it is
> fine to ask Savannah about mailing list stuff.

Sorry.  Yes to all.  I was being too terse in my answer.  (Usually I
get complaints that my reponses are too long and went too far the
other direction with that message.)  I wasn't trying to run you off
this list for the discussion of the problem.  As Karl said it is fine
to discuss the mailing list stuff here.  A few folks such as Karl and
myself can log into lists and browse around the log files.  No access
to do anything more than browse though.  So can't make any changes to
either mail or Mailman or anything.  It is definitely an in-between
capability.  Limited but useful access.

Bob