Re: [Savannah-users] Project revision vs. replacement.

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-users] Project revision vs. replacement.
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2014 13:56:30 -0700

Assaf Gordon wrote:
> juanslayton @dslextreme.com wrote:
> > I have radically revised an old project, changing the graphics
> > platform (SVGA to SDL2), the associated dependencies, the
> > implementing hardware, and the name.  Also wish to change the
> > repository from CVS to git.  The old implementation is essentially
> > worthless and I don't want it around cluttering things up.
> >
> > Seems to me the thing to do is totally delete the old project
> > ("classnet") and start a new one with the new name ("desknet").  But
> > I haven't figured out how to do that.
> I can think of few possibilities:
> 3. Register a new project "desknet" with the new code base, as a completely
> independent project,
> with no relation to 'classnet'.
> You can also mark the 'classnet' project as "decommissioned" and add a notice
> pointing to "desknet" in the project's description.

In addition to the excellent recommendations by Assaf let me point out
an additional option.  Or perhaps I am simply adding to the
description of the last sentence above.  If you create a new project
desknet and want to deprecate the old project classnet then you as the
owner of classnet can easily deprecate the previous project.

Create a new revision of classnet with all files deleted in that
revision.  Create a single README file there explaining everything you
want to explain about why you are deprecating the old project.  Add
pointers to the new project.  Commit the new revision.  It is simply
an additional version of the previous project but it will be the
current version of it if anyone looks at it.  If for whatever reason
anyone wanted to actively go look at the source code of the project
then it is all still there in the history.  This would obviate any
need to do any history conversion from CVS to GIT.  Simply create the
new project as normal.

Bob