Re: [Savannah-users] CVS - bad repository state / migration to git

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-users] CVS - bad repository state / migration to git
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2014 18:42:28 -0600

Nicolas Neuss wrote:
> Hmm, I suspected that it might have something to do with that.  So I
> guess that I will have to recommit those changes...

For those latest changes, since you are planning on migrating to git,
the easiest thing would be to do the migration first and then add
those changes to the git side of things.  Since git supports surgery
on the repository better than CVS does.  So I would do the conversion
to git first and the addition of the missing history second.

After converting to git then enable the git repository from the
Savannah web interface.  Then push.  Since the git repository is
initialized empty you can push your repository to it.  After that it
has content and history and will be published..

Often there are false starts at the conversion.  If you have just
recently converted to a fresh git repository but haven't gotten it
right the first time and need to do a second conversion please just
let us know that this is the problem and I can reset things for you so
that you can push again with your adjustments.  That happens and we
understand the problem.  It is good to get things finalized so that
things can move forward.  After the conversion is complete and done
then you should consider that the published source is published.
Usually once published it can't be unpublished.

After you are satisfied with the git repository if you let us know we
can disable commits to the CVS repository.  If someone tries to commit
to it they will get a message that the repository is disabled instead
of being confused by having it work.

Bob