Re: [Savannah-users] I have problem in roraring the board.

From: Kaz Kylheku
Subject: Re: [Savannah-users] I have problem in roraring the board.
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 12:40:24 -0800

This happens quite a bit. A few times a year (or so it seems)
someone somehow finds the general Savannah mailing list instead
of a project-specific mailing list.

By what workflow does that happen?

Nowhere on the GNU Backgammon page is there any link to the
Savannah mailing list. The word "savannah" doesn't even appear.

The problem, I suspect, is the generic Savannah project page,
such as this one:

http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/gnubg

Of course, a right-thinking end-user thinks that everything on this
page pertains to the gnubg project.

In the left hand column, we have a Site Support section with links
like "Contact us", which are easy to mistake as pertaining to
the project. "Contact us" tells you to post to  address@hidden

Of course the surrounding text explains that this is an e-mail for
the hosting site, and not ofor the specific project, but some X
percentage of users will not read this, but simply skim the page
look for the address link.

People don't read text these days. They skim.

Think about Google. You search for something and you get hundreds
of pages. Do you read them all? You pick out certain ones based on
shreds of the scraped text, and then you skim quickly for any excuse
to hit the back button and try another one.
Nobody has time to read some boring paragraphs any more.

This is the age of Twitter. If you can't say it 140 characters,
nobody's gonna read it, especially when the e-mail address they are
looking for is highighted in a different color and underlined, so
that the eyes can land on it a millisecond after the page loads
without noticing anything else.

Basically, this is a Savannah usability issues.

There should not be any generic Savannah content on the project pages.
Maybe just one link back to Savannah, with a loud and clear message
"you are now leaving the gnubg project to visit the main site where
it is hosted along with thousands of other projects".

Only that main site needs Savannah-specific links.

It is not necessary for the GNU Backgammon project page to allow users
to easily navigate to the Savannah user mailing list and other generic
Savannah areas.