Re: [Savannah-users] Need mailinglist provider

From: Michael J. Flickinger
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2012 19:06:03 -0400

On 10/16/12 7:39 PM, Karl Berry wrote:
Hi Manuel,

     That's why I'm asking if I'm allowed to just register a project at
     savannah to get a high quality mailing list?

It's never come up before.  It hasn't been discussed explicitly among
the current savannah admins, but I think the answer is no, sorry.

The purpose of savannah is ultimately to promote free software, per the
various items on https://savannah.gnu.org/register/requirements.php.
When the software is hosted somewhere else, it makes little sense for
savannah to just provide mailing lists, as far as I can see.

Best regards,
Karl

We've done this in the past for GNU projects, as to provide an infrastructure for mailing list management. Aside from that, I agree, if a project is hosted elsewhere, using Savannah for mailing lists makes little sense.