Re: [Savannah-users] Yet another gpl license question

From: Michał Masłowski
Subject: Re: [Savannah-users] Yet another gpl license question
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 19:50:53 +0100

> I'm almost set to submit a project to Savannah. I'm running it through
> it's paces, and say to myself, "I really need to include
> rcs-5.7-26.i386.rpm in the tar ball.  There are several other packages
> I'd also like to include but am not over bloat concerns.

It's more portable and easier for users of non-RPM distros (or non-i386
architectures) to just write in a README-like file that rcs should be
installed.  (This is also nicer for distros adding your package, since
they have separately packaged rcs and don't want to update it in several
packages.)

> My project is a "Gnu key chain" utility and thus far rcs is the only
> extraneous package required for it's operation and I plain don't
> understand the implications of packaging an rpm inside a tar ball, or
> for that matter another rpm.

I don't know what implications would it have, but there is no need to do
this.  RPMs (like all popular binary package formats) are designed to
have specified dependencies on other packages available in the distro,
so they don't include files available in other packages.