Re: [Savannah-users] Questions about new project

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [Savannah-users] Questions about new project
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2011 23:20:09 GMT

Hi Paulo,

This is more of a question for savannah-hackers than savannah-users, but
anyway ...

    do I have to have a tarball before I do that?

Not a functional tarball.  As long as there is something.  Just some web
pages would be enough.

    I have to use GPL-compatible free software licences, right?

Right.

     because I want a LGPL-like thing, with one restriction:
     no derivatives.

Such a restriction would make any license non-free,
so we can't accept that.

    have to write down my own - or just write a restriction to LGPL -,
    would it still have a chance to be approved?

Aside from the problem with that particular restriction, as a general
rule, we only accept standard licenses on Savannah, not standard
licenses + custom text of any kind.  Otherwise license proliferation
problems would just get worse.

All the best,