Re: [Savannah-users] Disable Mailing List Moderation

From: Bob Proulx
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 00:19:58 -0600

Hello Roman,

> I'm leading a project with a mailing list on savannah.nongnu.org.
> Whenever someone posts to the mailing list who is not a registered user
> of the ML, I have to manually approve his post.  Can I disable this?

Are you aware of the listhelper team?  By default we set up all new
mailing lists to have spam automatically discarded.  Along with that
new postings will be reviewed by one of the humans on the team and
approved.  The process is explained in more detail here:

  https://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/ListHelperAntiSpam

Of course you are welcome to continue managing closely your mailing
list.  But you do not *need* to do so.  You are not alone.  You have
help.  The listhelper team will review all of the moderated messages
and approve non-spam across all of the mailing lists.

Also, we have had periodic problems with spammers subscribing to
mailing lists to avoid the filters.  They subscribe and then spam.
Therefore it is good to have new subscribers moderated until they post
a valid message.  That is the best practice across the mailing lists.

Most important is not to respond to messages automatically because
spammers routinely forge valid addresses of 3rd party users.  This
creates backscatter spam.

I recommend that you ignore the individual moderator messages.  I
recomend that you filter them out with procmail or whatever email
filtering you prefer to use.  But do pay attention to the once per day
summary messages.

> I want everybody to be allowed to post on the mailing list, but I
> have found no way to do so.

I made some small changes to the ranger-users mailing list
configuration to enable listhelper and to avoid backscatter spam.
Please give the this configuration a try!  However please do have some
patience.  Especially due to differences in timezones all around.

Bob