[Savannah-users] Re: CVS hooks on Savannah

From: Jan Owoc
Subject: [Savannah-users] Re: CVS hooks on Savannah
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 09:37:59 +0200

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 8:54 AM, Yavor Doganov <address@hidden> wrote:
> Eric Noulard wrote:
>> If you switch to git repo, you may easilly implement client-side
>> hook
>
> Well, yes, client-side hooks are also possible with Arch, Bzr and
> Mercurial.  But I suspect that Jan is reluctant to switch to a dVCS,
> though, since that presumes more skills which some translators usually
> lack.
>
> Also, it's somewhat a nuisance to coordinate client-side hooks among
> contributors, especially if there are many of them.

Yavor is right, where client-side hooks are difficult to coordinate
between many translators, of whom many are basic computer users and
using basic cvs is already challenging. I'm not sure if server-side
cvs hooks would solve my problem, but they sounded promising.

My specific problem is that translators use different translation
programs (gtranslator, Poedit, Virtaal etc.) with each having
different conventions for maximum line length in po files. This made
tracing changes impossible - all lines appeared changed. I found that
running:
msgfilter -i file.po -o file.po cat
would consistently adjust the file to have the same line length, which
happens to be the same line length left by gnun when it processes the
files.

An alternative proposed by one team member is to have a computer check
for commits (for example, once per hour) and run the above command on
changed po files. We could then do a "cvs diff" on every second
revision.

How do the other translation teams get around this? Does the entire
team agree to use the same gettext editor?

Thanks,

Jan