Re: [Savannah-users] backup frequency

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-users] backup frequency
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 22:03:51 +0200

On Wed, Jun 03, 2009 at 11:52:48AM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
> How often do we make backups of Savannah?

Here's the answer:
(from http://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/Backup)

<<<<
    * Each day, Savannah data is rsync'd offsite.
    * Each week, those data are put on tape (full backup, not incremental).
    * We keep the first set of each month indefinitely. The others are kept for
up to 2 months, and then recycled.

It's straightforward to restore files from the daily rsync.

However, it takes quite a lot of time to restore files from tapes: if you want
to restore a single file that happens to be on tape 3 or 4 (each tape holds
100GB without compression), sysadmins need to spool through all the tapes until
it is found. This takes the better part of a day.

--
Sylvain