Re: [Savannah-users] Probably newbie's questions... Build my new project

From: list
Subject: Re: [Savannah-users] Probably newbie's questions... Build my new project
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 10:34:44 +0100

Am Sunday, dem 06. Jan 2008 schrieb Peleg Michaeli:

> Well: I looked in many sites and read many reviews, and it seems like GNU
> Arch is the best version-control system for me; but it also seems to be the
> most difficult to learn. I have NO experience in ANY version-control system:
> I just never used it (I have used SVN as a client - committing changes to a
> remote server - but I never managed such a system).

I can not help you with Arch, for I have never used it.
But maybe I can answer some of the other questions.

By the way, if you want to "upload" a homepage for the project, you have
to use CVS.

> I read all of the FAQs and WIKIs that are here and on Arch site (and on Git
> site as well), but I can't even answer these simple questions:
>
> * How can I upload files to my project? (it is "empty" at the moment)

With "project" you mean the source code repository, right?
The repository is empty, but it exists. So the first thing is to check out
the (empty) repository, and then you can fill it with files.
(At least with CVS)

> * How can I let others upload files? Should I create members, or are these
> the same members of Savannah?

Anybody can get the repository as anonymous user without being registered.
To get write-privileges, they must be a member of your project.
So the users must first be registered on Savannah and then you can add
them to your project.

> * How can I access the "administration" of those systems? (is there a web
> administration at all?)

What do you mean by that?
When you are logged in you will see "Project Main Administration Page"
in the links below the project description. Or simply under "Main" in
the menu at the top.

> * How can I make it more centralized or less centralized?

> * Where will I be able to see a running version (production) of the project?
> (to make online tests, to show to others, etc.) - or should I use my own
> (shared) server for that?

What do you mean by that?
Does your project use some server side web technology (PHP, CGI...)?
You cannot "run" anything on the savannah servers.
They offer webspace, but only for static content.
You could only upload client side code (JavaScript, (Java?)...).
(I'm not sure, if Java is considered to be free yet.)

If you need server side execution, then you have to find another server.
You can register the link to the other server under "Select Features".

Hope that helps.

--
AKFoerster