[Savannah-register-public] [task #15221] Submission of Reproducible pape

From: Ineiev
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #15221] Submission of Reproducible paper template
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2019 13:45:00 -0400 (EDT)

Follow-up Comment #21, task #15221 (project administration):

> I am not a lawyer, but based on this part of the GPL (under Section 10),
"Each time you convey a covered work, the recipient automatically receives a
license from the original licensors, to run, modify and propagate that work,
subject to this License."

When you get a license, you by no means become a copyright holder; you would
need a copyright assignment rather than a license.

> is it correct for the person modifying the code to replace their name with
name of the original author(s)?

I think I don't quite understand this.

If someone modifies code non-trivially, they (or those who they assigned their
copyright to, like in case of gnuastro) becomes an additional copyright
holder; check
https://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/Copyright-Notices.html for more
details on what non-trivial changes are and how to write copyright notices for
code with multiple copyright holders.

(Probably you should re-read whole
https://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/maintain.html#Legal-Matters section.)

> This question will also fix the last problem you raised on the two git
scripts. In that case, I have modified a previously written code (under MIT
license). In fact this case is a little more complicated: as far as I know,
unlike the GPL, the MIT license allows usage of any license. So how should I
say that the original author distributed it as MIT, but I distribute my
modifications to it under GPL?

I think you can just put the MIT license with the license notice for the GPL.

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?15221>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/