[Savannah-register-public] [task #14745] Submission of SunOS

From: John Howard
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #14745] Submission of SunOS
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2017 08:15:05 -0500 (EST)

                 Privacy: Public
        Percent Complete: 0%
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
                  Effort: 0.00

Details:

A new project has been registered at Savannah
This project account will remain inactive until a site admin approves
or discards the registration.

= Registration Administration =

While this item will be useful to track the registration process,
*approving or discarding the registration must be done using the specific
Group Administration
<https://savannah.nongnu.org/siteadmin/groupedit.php?group_id=11792> page*,
accessible only to site administrators,
effectively *logged as site administrators* (superuser):

* Group Administration
<https://savannah.nongnu.org/siteadmin/groupedit.php?group_id=11792>

= Registration Details =

* Name: *SunOS*
* System Name:  *sunos*
* Type: non-GNU software and documentation
* License: Other license (POLICY:
1. System-level free software is CDDL v1 or any later version for the Unix
kernel and Heirloom Tools.
2. No firmware blobs are allowed.
3. Recommended User-level free software is GPL-compatible.)

----

The purpose of this SunOS project is to provide a Unix operating system with a
GNUstep software environment for your Personal Computer.  The GNUstep
Applications Project (GAP) provides additional recommended games, Home Office,
and desktop applications.

Unix operating system free software distribution:
1. SunOS v5.11 (illumos kernel) from OpenSolaris.
2. Heirloom Tools.
3. GNUstep.

The GNUstep free software packages use Objective C language.
The system-level free software uses C language.
The boot loader uses Forth language.

==== Other Software Required: ====
illumos Unix kernel+CDDL+illumos.org
Heirloom Tools+CDDL+Heirloom.SourceForge.net
GNUstep+GPLv3+GNUstep.org

==== Other Comments: ====
GNU/Linux is an operating system.  Likewise, any user can add User-level free
software GNU packages from Savannah to customize their effectively GNU/SunOS.

Linux kernel is not a Unix kernel.  At least allow this SunOS genuine Unix
kernel as free software here at Savannah for the benefit of GNUstep users.

Only the System-level free software kernels currently have conflicting
licensing policies making them mutually exclusive.  This fact should not pose
a problem for User-level free software packages at all.  And specifically
there is technically no conflict because a single kernel is always chosen to
operate exclusively.  This is why I checked "My license is compatible with the
GNU GPL or GFDL" despite the comments at
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html#GPLCompatibleLicenses
and the comments at
https://savannah.nongnu.org/register/requirements.php.

It is a problem only here at Savannah when FSF further restrict "free
software" to effectively mean only GPL-compatible which generally prevents
starting CDDL projects.  I don't know if that happens because I have not tried
to start a project here before.  Otherwise I can agree with the hosting
requirements.

How can the System-level software of Ubuntu Linux (GPL) use ZFS (CDDL)?  Is
the GPL a frivolous agreement?  (A hypothetical CDDL v2 series defined as LGPL
v2 series or any later version, and a hypothetical CDDL v3 series defined as
GPL v3 series or any later version would finally resolve all conflicting
policy issues.  But only the License Authority, which is Oracle now, can
change the CDDL.)

I have not yet made the tarball to upload to Savannah.  The reason is the
Heirloom Tools (binutils) replace the closed source binutils blobs still in
the illumos project forks at Github.  And the illumos project code review
process will prevent integrating Heirloom Tools with their release of the Unix
kernel.  Thus I include a link to a current fork of illumos done by a
third-party that replaced the boot loader last year.  Consequently, I need
Savannah to host this SunOS project in a Subversion repo instead of Git so my
revision numbers are ordered.

Thanks for your help and understanding of the matter.

==== Tarball URL: ====
https://github.com/tsoome/illumos-gate/tree/loader

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?14745>

  http://savannah.nongnu.org/