[Savannah-register-public] [task #14676] Submission of A concise, robust

From: Henri Lesourd
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #14676] Submission of A concise, robust, and extensible syntax highlighting library for the web
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2017 14:46:41 -0400 (EDT)

> Node.js contains parts of OpenSSL licensed under
> the Original BSD license, it makes the whole library
> GPL-incompatible.

I didn't know that.

In any case, the core hilite.js code is Javascript, we only use
node.js as an interpreter to run the Javascript server-based
parts of hilite.js. Our C code only depends on the libc, we
never link against any C-based library that would come from
node.

Thus it seems to me that in the current situation, there are
no dependencies that would prevent us to release our hilite.js
software under the GPL.

Indeed, it would be nice to get rid of this dependency
on node.js, but currently, our users ask for a number
of well-defined features (which include the software
being Free), and our schedule is already full for the
next few months.

That's why at the moment, it seems more reasonable to focus on
developing the software further and on getting feedback from
the users, and to plan a later survey to examine the problems
related to these kind of dependencies.