[Savannah-register-public] [task #14584] Submission of botlib

From: Ineiev
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #14584] Submission of botlib
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2017 02:46:05 -0400 (EDT)

> I need a license for a library so normally would have been LGPL,

The [https://www.gnu.org/l/why-not-lgpl.html LGPL was only
written for specific cases] of libraries.

> GPL
> however requires the non-free principle that further released code
> should also hold the same copyright notice.

We evidently have different ideas about software freedom. For
example, you seem to support the
[https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/why-copyleft.html
"freedom" to deny freedom]; the GNU project considers that
[https://www.gnu.org/p/freedom-or-power.html power rather than
freedom].

The freedoms the GNU project supports <https://www.gnu.org/p/free-sw.html>
are freedom to use software, to study and change it, to distribute its
copies, and to share your changes with other people. These freedoms
are not restricted by the fact that the users have to keep copyright
and license notices in their places and to follow certain requirements.
On the other hand, these measures help keep the package free and
protect the users from malicious copyright holders.

> This license removes the obligation to provide the same license txt in
> derived copies, important for code libraries.

I can't agree this is important. We have a giantic body of copylefted
libraries.

> If you, as GNU promotors, think it is not compatible with GNU policies
> i would like to hear that ;]

Note that we are speaking about registering on the nongnu part
of Savannah, it has different policies; but yes, GNU packages are
normally copylefted.

> I removed all copyright notices and proclaimed the sotfware is in the
> public domain. Hope you still aprove of this software package as it
> would make botlib's bot program the default irc/xmpp bot on any GNU
> system ;]

This is another misunderstanding. Registering as a Savannah nongnu
package doesn't approve it for the GNU system; in fact, even making
it an official GNU package doesn't automatically make it default on
any GNU system. To become the default package, it should be
technically better than its alternatives (and of course, the
prerequisite is being licensed as free software in an unambiguous
way). And this is where copyleft gives an advantage, because
many volunteers are understandably more willing to contribute to software
[https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/pragmatic.html when they are
sure their work won't be converted to proprietary products].