[Savannah-register-public] [task #14530] Submission of DDC/CI Python scr

From: Johannes Stezenbach
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #14530] Submission of DDC/CI Python script
Date: Tue, 30 May 2017 10:40:08 -0400 (EDT)

                 Privacy: Public
        Percent Complete: 0%
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
                  Effort: 0.00

Details:

A new project has been registered at Savannah
This project account will remain inactive until a site admin approves or
discards the registration.

= Registration Administration =

While this item will be useful to track the registration process, *approving
or discarding the registration must be done using the specific Group
Administration
<https://savannah.nongnu.org/siteadmin/groupedit.php?group_id=11750> page*,
accessible only to site administrators, effectively *logged as site
administrators* (superuser):

* Group Administration
<https://savannah.nongnu.org/siteadmin/groupedit.php?group_id=11750>

= Registration Details =

* Name: *DDC/CI Python script*
* System Name:  *ddcci-py*
* Type: non-GNU software and documentation
* License: GNU General Public License v3 or later

----

ddcci.py is a simple Python script to send DDC/CI commands
to a computer monitor which supports it (DDC/CI means
Display Data Channel Command Interface).  E.g. it allows
to change the brightness or contrast.
It is using Linux-specific ioctls for I2C access.

The script uses Python's ctypes and fcntl modules to
do direct I2C_RDWR ioctls, so the only prerequisite
is a non-obsolete version of Python.
The traditional tool http://ddccontrol.sourceforge.net/
has a lot of legacy and is slow because it reads the
monitor's EDID and DDC/CI capabilities on each invocation.

However, I wanted something which can be bound to a keyboard hotkey
to control the monitor brightness, similar to laptops.
Thus it needed to be fast.  It doesn't do sanity checks but just fires
off a command on the I2C (DDC) bus device you are pointing it at.

==== Other Comments: ====
I wrote it a year ago and use it since then.
Seems to work stable at least for the simple
"change monitor brightness" use-case.

==== Tarball URL: ====
https://savannah.nongnu.org/submissions_uploads/ddcci-1.0.tar.gz

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?14530>