Re: [Savannah-register-public] [task #13238] Submission of Partager

From: fr33domlover
Subject: Re: [Savannah-register-public] [task #13238] Submission of Partager
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 01:28:46 +0300

On 2014-06-24
Karl Berry <address@hidden> wrote:

> Follow-up Comment #1, task #13238 (project administration):
>
> Hi - sorry for the delayed reply.  (1) who told you that you can
> "just post the project"?  Just wondering.  (2) if you're not going to
> use any savannah facilities (no source repositories, no bug tracking,
> no anything), then what's the point of having a project here?
>
> not saying we're opposed, just trying to understand.
>
> best,
> karl

Hello,

No problems, I wasn't in a hurry :-)

Here's the story. I have a project I'm hosting by myself, but at the
moment it's very hard to find because it doesn't have an ICANN domain
name. I asked on IRC about some place where I could share some info
about it and discuss about working voluntarily on free software (I
insist on having no dependency on company funding, which makes the
whole money thing harder).

Someone suggested that I create a project page on Savannah, and I was
told I don't have to use the infrastructure (which is good, because I
have my own already).

Now when I'm thinking about it again, maybe it's not so useful for
purpose of discussions, but it's still nice to have a bit of info
somewhere where people can see it (I think my website isn't even on
the popular search engines because there's no registered ICANN domain).

If you prefer not to have this kind of project on Savannah, it's fine -
but then I'll be happy to hear where I can place it instead :-) I
thought about making a Git mirror on Gitorious, but I realized using
Savannah sends a much stronger message of software freedom, because not
every project passes. I know I don't have actual running code, but I
use all the GNU guidelines.

That's all. It's just a spot on the Internet where I can say "hey, I
have this project". Although my website is accessible via Tor, I2P and
OpenNIC and directly browsing to the IP address, most people don't use
these things yet (and ICANN domains are centralized and controlled by
selfish-interest giant companies).

---
fr33domlover
PGP key ID: 937A67EF