[Savannah-register-public] [task #13205] Submission of Claws Mail

From: Ricardo Mones
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #13205] Submission of Claws Mail
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 08:35:21 +0000

> I've cloned the repository; as far as I can see,
> the issue with the images hasn't been resolved (including the XMPs);

Well, given VCS history I don't think we can set an appropriate copyright or
even authorship without an unbearable effort, since they probably come from
1.x GNOMEs and other similar ancient sources. I remember having done from
scratch a couple of them myself, but that's just a minimal part.

Anyway we're already looking for a solution for this, which is basically is to
replace them all with something with a known license. This will take some
time, as you may figure out.

> also, some source files lack licensing and copyright notices, e.g.
> plugins/notification/gtkhotkey/gtk-hotkey-marshal.c; additionally,

Yes, it's how author wrote it (it comes from another GPLv3 project). Anyway
this will be fixed.

> I don't think a notice like
> # This file is part of Claws Mail package.
> # See COPYING file for license details.
> will really do; in particular, it doesn't say anything
> about the copyrights and possible versions of the license.

It's just a pointer, like own's GPL usage, though less verbose, of course, and
much more direct. The pointed file contains all the information, including
copyright and license version.

I'm curious why do you think it doesn't do. Is it not understandable? Do you
know of any case where something like this has been defeated in a court
maybe?

regards,

  Mensaje enviado vía/por Savannah