[Savannah-register-public] [task #12640] Submission of BFGMiner

From: Luke Dashjr
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #12640] Submission of BFGMiner
Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2013 14:55:33 +0000

On Saturday, June 01, 2013 11:51:50 AM Aljosha Papsch wrote:
> thanks for submitting your project to Savannah! I'm evaluating your
> submission and found the following issues:

Thank you for the detailed review!

> Not all copyrightable files contain a copyright and license notice. These
> are some source files, most header files and some other files.  You can
> find an incomplete list at the end of this message.  Please add copyright
> and license to those files.
>
> There is the file adl_functions.h with an invalid copyright notice. The
> year is missing.  Please add the correct year.

Easily fixed (in git): 2010-2011

> There are some binary files in the bitstreams directory.  Apparently the
> accompanying source files are in Git repository. However, all source files
> need to be included in your distribution.  Therefore please include the
> missing source files in your distribution.

Is a git submodule sufficient (my distribution files are built with these
populated)? Perhaps with a separate mirror repository or branch, if including
it on Savannah's git is still necessary?

> Files with missing copyright and license notices:
>
> adl.h deviceapi.h driver-opencl.h findnonce.h fpgautils.h ocl.h scrypt.h

I don't see anything copyrightable in these files.

> bench_block.h

I'm not sure this is copyrightable. It consists of a hash of public data, a
hash of unknown data (unlikely anyone ever even kept track of what it was more
than a few minutes), a timestamp, and a public floating-point number.

On the other hand, I could probably safely replace it with zeros too...

> elist.h

This seems to have come from the Linux kernel include/linux/list.h. My email
to Linus 4 months ago regarding licensing seems to have gone ignored.
Additionally, I use code added to list.h by Rusty Russell and Arnaldo Carvalho
de Melo. However, it is, as self-described, a mere "simple double linked list
implementation" - so perhaps it's not eligible for copyright at all? Any
advice on resolving this one? :/

> The example files, java file

Contacted the authors of API.java and api-example.py - any others I'm
missing?

> mknsis.sh

Very old, unused; will remove entirely.

> files in ccan

Sigh, this looks like another GPL-2 mess. Will look into resolving it as well,
perhaps by simply replacing it with some standard option-parsing library...

The rest have been addressed in git.

Luke