[Savannah-register-public] [task #12333] Submission of Linux MOXART ARM

From: Jonas Jensen
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #12333] Submission of Linux MOXART ARM CPU port
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 10:35:55 +0000

I prefer to host the entire kernel source, for example all of linux libre
2.6.32.60 + diff simply because it's easier to read, is it possible? If not,
hosting just the diff works too.

I think the only part of the diff itself that can't be considered a complete
rewrite is the ethernet driver, and for this there is no mention of GNU
license, however. It's not entirely unlikely the author(s) would agree to it,
seeing that the MMC driver and other parts already have GNU license text in
header and *.c. This troubles me because there is not much point in having the
GNU MMC driver without ethernet.

You can give the following sources a look and tell me what you think:

http://repo.or.cz/w/linux-2.6.9-moxart.git/blob/28cc2cc5c63d076cd2437ee6307937c341710b7d:/drivers/net/moxacpu_mac.c

http://repo.or.cz/w/linux-2.6.9-moxart.git/blob/28cc2cc5c63d076cd2437ee6307937c341710b7d:/drivers/net/moxacpu_mac.h

http://repo.or.cz/w/linux-2.6.19-moxart.git/blob/50cdf2c57662f9f69c5615976412f76bfd73311a:/drivers/mmc/moxasd.c

Browsing through linux libre I noticed the following:

http://linux-libre.fsfla.org/pub/linux-libre/releases/2.6.32.60-gnu/linux-libre-2.6.32.60-gnu.log:

MOXA_INTELLIO - Moxa Intellio support
drivers/char/moxa.c: disabled non-Free firmware-loading machinery
drivers/char/moxa.c: removed blobs

This is pretty key to the platform. I currently have no idea if it can work
without the removed non-free parts. The embedded version of this modifies code
already under GPL:
http://repo.or.cz/w/linux-2.6.19-moxart.git/blob/50cdf2c57662f9f69c5615976412f76bfd73311a:/drivers/char/mxser.c

The following post to linux-arm-kernel mailing list has more information
regarding the port:
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2012-December/137130.html

I'm sorry if this is a lot of trouble. It goes without saying I would have
preferred if this platform was already actively maintained in mainline.