Re: [Savannah-register-public] [task #11582] Submission of RFree

From: Maggie Avener
Subject: Re: [Savannah-register-public] [task #11582] Submission of RFree
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 10:05:23 -0500

Thank you for your quick response. My replies are below.

Please note "Linux" is just a kernel of a more complex system that we
like to refer to as GNU/Linux, to emphasize the ideals of the Free
Software movement.  Would you mind changing references to Linux as an
OS to GNU/Linux? (Read_Me.txt).  For more information, see
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html.
No problem.
This project uses a copy of the file curves_subroutines.f, a
collection of subroutines from the FCC, assumed to be public domain
but not explicitly free software.
Have you checked the file is _actually_ (Not just supposedly) on the
public domain?.  If so, then there is no problem [1].
As far as I understand from copyright law, anything written by FCC staff is automatically considered public domain. However, the file didn't come with a copyright notice. In the past I have asked about this regarding other FCC code and haven't gotten official confirmation. Here's the reply I got from the FCC when I inquired about another program they wrote and released to the public:

We aren't making any official statement about the code being in the "public
domain."

However, you are free to use the code, copy it, modify it, or otherwise make it
available to others via the web.

I'm waiting for a reply from the FCC about curves_subroutines.f, but I suspect the answer will be the same.

Please add the licensing information to curves_subroutines.f and
Makefile, as with every other non-trivial file (10+ lines is the thumb
rule).
I added the licensing info to Makefile. For curves_subroutines.f, I believe the correct procedure (if I get confirmation from the FCC) is to label it as public domain now, but change the license info to GPL 3+ if we make any substantial changes to it. Can you confirm?
I noticed the project is licensed under the GNU GPL 3+.  I will change
the license field accordingly, let me know if that's not what you
intended.
Yes, that is what I intended.
Please fix these issues and provide a updated tarball.  You can either
attach it to the tracker or use an external hosting and provide a
*direct* download URL.
There's an updated copy (with the Gnu/Linux reference fixed in the Readme and the license info for the Makefile) at web.mit.edu/avenerm/www/rfree-2011-11-14.tar.gz. If needed, I'll update it again when I know what licensing info to add to curves_subroutines.f.

Thanks again,
Maggie