[Savannah-register-public] [task #11308] Submission of aussiecat

From: David Fu
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #11308] Submission of aussiecat
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 14:15:48 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
        Percent Complete: 0%
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
                  Effort: 0.00

Details:

A new project has been registered at Savannah
This project account will remain inactive until a site admin approves or
discards the registration.

= Registration Administration =

While this item will be useful to track the registration process, *approving
or discarding the registration must be done using the specific Group
Administration
<https://savannah.nongnu.org/siteadmin/groupedit.php?group_id=10846> page*,
accessible only to site administrators, effectively *logged as site
administrators* (superuser):

* Group Administration
<https://savannah.nongnu.org/siteadmin/groupedit.php?group_id=10846>

= Registration Details =

* Name: *aussiecat*
* System Name:  *aussiecat*
* Type: non-GNU software & documentation
* License: GNU General Public License v2 or later

----

aussiecat is a webserver which runs JavaScript on the Server-side(much akin to
PHP, ASP, JSP, etc).

aussiecat is base on firecat (http://firecat.sourceforge.net), which was
originally written by me for nihonsoft(the company who sponsored the project),
but adds a significant new feature which I feel warrants a fork from the
original.

aussiecat includes a "server view source" functionality which allows server
script to be viewed, much to akin to how Browsers can use "view source" to
read the HTML/JavaScript of webpages.

I have a demo of the server running at:

http://218.111.200.82:9090/index.nsp

Please try first, using the normal Browser view source on that page.

The Server Script can be viewed by adding the path param server_view_src=true
to the end of the url.
e.g.:

http://218.111.200.82:9090/index.nsp;server_view_src=true

I noticed that Savane has a "Source Code" link, which can be used to show the
source code of the current page, but the difference between Savane and
aussiecat is that Savane is an web-application-level view source, whereas
aussiecat is a webserver-level view source. So the goal is to allow all
web-applications written for aussiecat to have "server view source" built-in
by default, much like it is for client-side JavaScript for web browsers right
now.

The current server is written in Java and uses OpenJDK by default. However,
when there is enough momentum on the project, I plan to embark on making
another implementation using C++11.

==== Other Software Required: ====
Mozilla Rhino JavaScript Interpreter - GPL/MPL(Dual License) -
http://www.mozilla.org/rhino/

W3C Jigsaw's HttpRequestMessage parser and HttpReplyMessage generator - W3C
Software Notice and License - http://www.w3.org/Jigsaw/

OpenJDK - GPL + Classpath Exception - http://openjdk.java.net/

FESI EcmaScript Interpreter - LGPL - http://www.lugrin.ch/fesi/

==== Other Comments: ====
A bit about myself, I was FSF Licensing Lab volunteer working with Brett Smith
and a minor contributor to GNU Classpath. I am also the co-founder of the
IcedRobot project.

While I was a speaker at FOSDEM(see:
http://www.fosdem.org/2011/schedule/speaker/david_fu) earlier this year for
IcedRobot(a project to replicate the Android system, see
http://www.icedrobot.org), one of the FOSS hackers who was interested in
IcedRobot, suggested that IcedRobot applications be able to have their source
code viewed. A few months after that, it occurred to me, that this would be
good for server-side scripts too.

As I think this represents a significant paradigm shift for Web development, I
hope the project can gain official GNU status, so the FSF can credit for
starting the Server View Source movement.

==== Tarball URL: ====
http://savannah.gnu.org/submissions_uploads/ns_aussiecat_dist_1.1.0_svs_1.tgz

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?11308>

  http://savannah.nongnu.org/