Re: [Savannah-register-public] guile-cairo documentation license and sav

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: [Savannah-register-public] guile-cairo documentation license and savannah
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 11:23:22 +0200

On Wed 27 Apr 2011 23:15, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> writes:

>       And it includes the 80+ pages of thoughtful text that Cairo folk
>     have done; they know the library better than I do.
>
> Can you find the names and addresses of the people who wrote this?
> We need to ask them to allow GFDL use of that text.

It's complicated, because the upstream API documentation is derived from
comments in the source code, using the gtk-doc documentation system used
by GTK+ and related libraries.  (So similar to docstrings in some ways.)
You'd have to license source code under the GFDL (in addition to other
licenses), which surely is not your goal.

On the other hand, I still think it's a good idea to allow GPL text in a
GFDL manual.

> Could you remind me what Cairo is, and what larger project
> (if any) it is part of?

It is a vector drawing library with different backends: PDF, opengl,
xwindows, etc.  It is used by GTK+ for everything that it draws.  It is
also used by Firefox, at least on GNU.  It doesn't really have a parent
project, except for freedesktop.org, which isn't really an organization.
There is lots of overlap with x.org and gtk+ hackers though.

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/