[Savannah-register-public] [task #10659] Submission of GARBLE

From: Mario Castelán Castro
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #10659] Submission of GARBLE
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 04:06:03 +0000

             Assigned to:                    None => marioxcc

2010-10-09 in GNU Savannah task #10659: "Submission of GARBLE".

Hello.

There are some ethical and practical issues with the licensing of this
project as you described it:

> The restrictions are automatic in order to keep the project from
> being misrepresented or abused

In some cases (Works of opinion and judgmentf) for example, it's valid
to restrict modifications, that's something which should be analized
on a case per case basis; there is more information about the issue in
[1].  However, regarding software itself we think the right to make
public or private modifications is essential [2].

> but if any artwork is to be modified/used commercially with no
> harmful intent (or possibly to be of benefit to the project),
> permission will be granted for use provided that any derived works
> be licensed as Creative Commons No Derivatives, Share-Alike
> Noncommercial USA.)

There are several problems with this, from the free software
definition [2]:

* "harmful intent" and "benefit" are void terms in this scope: both
  are subjetive terms which can almost always be argued for either
  side.  If user modifications are limited, in substance, to changes
  that someone else considers an improvement that is not freedom.

* A free program must be available for commercial use, commercial
  development, and commercial distribution. Commercial development of
  free software is no longer unusual; such free commercial software is
  very important. You may have paid money to get copies of free
  software, or you may have obtained copies at no charge. But
  regardless of how you got your copies, you always have the freedom
  to copy and change the software, even to sell copies.

Please register your project again with these issues fixed.  Make sure
you read carefully the hosting requirements [3] and the checklist in
the registration form, so you will only need to re-register once.  I
also suggest you read [4] to familiarize yourself with our philosophy.

Regards.

[1]: Various Licenses and Comments about Them
     http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#OpinionLicensens

[2]: The Free Software Definition

[3]: GNU Savannah Hosting Requirements
     https://savannah.gnu.org/register/requirements.php

[4]: Why Software Should Not Have Owners
     http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/why-free.html

Item status changes:

Assigned to -> marioxcc.
Status -> Cancelled