[Savannah-register-public] [task #10258] Submission of Formatted Actuari

From: Benedict Escoto
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #10258] Submission of Formatted Actuarial Vignettes in R
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 05:02:22 +0000

Thanks Mario.  I updated the description and only mention free software as
per your instruction earlier.  About the code in Reserving.Rnw, I guess most
of it is formatting code, but I was considering formatting to be code and not
text.  For instance, here's a typical "code" snippet:

----------------
capecod.paid.fdf <- CapeCod(Latest(paid.devel.df), LDF.paid.selected.ult,
                            premium.fdf)
FieldHeadings(capecod.paid.fdf)$origin <- origin.field.heading
Caption(capecod.paid.fdf) <- "Cape Cod Loss Ratio Selection: Paid Loss"
Label(capecod.paid.fdf) <- "capecod paid 1"
capecod.paid.selected.lr <- (sum(capecod.paid.fdf[["value"]]) /
                             sum(capecod.paid.fdf[["used.premium"]]))
SummaryRow(capecod.paid.fdf) <- list(origin="Total",
                          value=sum(capecod.paid.fdf$value),
                          premium=sum(capecod.paid.fdf$premium),
                          used.premium=sum(capecod.paid.fdf$used.premium),
                          exp.ratio=capecod.paid.selected.lr)
print(capecod.paid.fdf)
---------------

It's true that what this code does is just make a table full of numbers, so
it's all formatting in that sense (except for the initial call to CapeCod I
suppose).  However, it's not English text (except for the caption)---you have
to execute this code in R to produce the table.

I guess there is somewhat of a gray line between code that produces a
document and the actual document.  For instance, HTML (w/o javascript) and
most LaTeX I would call (marked-up) text, but I would call the above code.
Maybe a useful criterion is whether a non-programmer can understand it.  If
they can, it's text; if not, it's code?

Anyway thanks for the approval, and I am still interested in using Savannah.