[Savannah-register-public] [task #10138] Submission of Swiss army knife

From: Tong Sun
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #10138] Submission of Swiss army knife of file signature checksum tool
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 01:08:01 +0000

> You must label, at least inside savannah your projects as free

Oh, thought it'd be obvious. Sure will do.

> Do you need to use an particular polynomial for the CRC?

Yes, I need to implement the IEEE 802.3 that most CRC32 commands use, eg.
.sfv files.

> I'm not sure, but I think MD4 is faster than CRC32 in software

Thanks for the advice, I'll add MD4 as well. I've found the OpenBSD's
implementation:

  /*      $OpenBSD: md4.c,v 1.7 2005/08/08 08:05:35 espie Exp $   */

  /*
   * This code implements the MD4 message-digest algorithm.
   * The algorithm is due to Ron Rivest.  This code was
   * written by Colin Plumb in 1993, no copyright is claimed.
   * This code is in the public domain; do with it what you wish.
   * Todd C. Miller modified the MD5 code to do MD4 based on RFC 1186.
   *
   * Equivalent code is available from RSA Data Security, Inc.
   * This code has been tested against that, and is equivalent,
   * except that you don't need to include two pages of legalese
   * with every copy.
   *
   * To compute the message digest of a chunk of bytes, declare an
   * MD4Context structure, pass it to MD4Init, call MD4Update as
   * needed on buffers full of bytes, and then call MD4Final, which
   * will fill a supplied 16-byte array with the digest.
   */

Hope that I've clarified everything. Would my project be now
cleared for approval?

thanks