[Savannah-register-public] [task #9772] Submission of Crossplex

From: David Wuertele
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #9772] Submission of Crossplex
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 23:26:10 +0000

> You never answered my question if this project will support Linux-libre.

Sorry, I guess I missed that question when I originally read your email.  Can
you please help me understand what you mean by "will support Linux-libre"?

If you are asking whether my project (a series of make macros compatible with
make-3.81) will perform in the same manner whether the host system running GNU
make has a linux-libre kernel, my answer would be "I haven't tested it, but I
have no reason to suspect that it would not work".

If you are asking whether my project will build embedded systems with the
Linux-libre kernel, my answer would be "I haven't tested it, but if the
Linux-libre makefiles have the same build targets that kernel.org linux has,
it should work fine."

I designed these macros to be flexible, but I only tested them on GNU/Linux
with make-3.81, targeting only the target systems that interested me:  those
target systems use kernel.org linux and linux-mips linux for their kernels.  I
don't have any experience with other kernels, and so I couldn't really build
support for them into the macros.

If someone wants to add support to crossplex for building any other kernel,
including Linux-libre, I have absolutely no problem with that.  There is
nothing that would prevent them from doing so.

Is it a requirement that all savannah-hosted projects can build a Linux-libre
kernel?

> You said in the e-mail "I don't mind changing references in my sources."
On
> savannah we do require you to refer to speak about it as GNU/Linux. There
are
> other places on nongnu.org where you are able promote your project such as
> your project page and your homepage should you choose to host it on
> nongnu.org.

Yes, I am fine referring to operating systems based on the Linux kernel and
glibc as GNU/Linux.  I think that is totally appropriate, and if savannah
requires it I will absolutely change my documentation to reflect that.

> I seemed to have missed the 'third party software'.
> Does this refer to software that is non-free?
> Does these scripts automatically download or install any non-free
software?
> Which licenses are being spoken of here?

What my library does is define macros that make it easy to unpack, patch,
build, stage, and install third-party software.  It does not download any
software at all.  It does not have rules that are specifically included to
support non-free software, however, there is nothing in my macros that prevent
someone from using them on non-free software.  It would be impossible for my
macros to determine whether the user was using them to patch non-free software
in the same way that the GNU "cp" command does not determine whether a binary
being copied was created from free or non-free software.

> "To be hosted on Savannah, your project must be free software, and it must
be
> kept independent of any non-free software. The package must not refer the
user
> to any non-free software; in particular, it must not automatically download
or
> install any non-free software.

Crossplex satisfies this requirement.

> The program should deliver its full functionality and convenience on a
> completely free platform based on a free operating system, such as
GNU/Linux,
> working entirely with other free software. Otherwise it would be an
inducement
> to install non-free operating systems or other non-free software.

Crossplex satisfies this requirement.

> It is ok for the program to run on non-free platforms or non-free
operating
> systems, and to work with well-known non-free applications, in addition to
> working with free software, provided it gives the free software at least
as
> good support as it gives to other alternatives. In other words, at no time,
in
> no way, should your program put free software users at a disadvantage
compared
> to those willing to use proprietary software."

Good.  There is nothing I can do to prevent people using GNU make on a
non-free operating system.  Any operating system that runs GNU make can use my
software.