[Savannah-register-public] Re: [task #9624] Submission of Objectify

From: J. Scott Edwards
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] Re: [task #9624] Submission of Objectify
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 07:30:24 -0600

Hi Leo,

I finally got that release out yesterday, it is Alpha_30.5 at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/objectify/.  I tried to get it out on
Saturday so that it coincided with Software Freedom Day, but I didn't
make it.  I found a couple of bugs and I didn't want to do a release
with them in it.

I believe I got copyright notices on all the documentation files and
all of the ChangeLog files.  I wasn't 100% sure where to put the
notice on the ChangeLogs, so I put it right at the beginning.  I
noticed in the GFDL instructions it said to use it on scripts too.  I
already had a GPL notice in the scripts so I didn't change them.  If
it would be better for the scripts to have the GFDL notice instead
please let me know.

There are a couple of web pages that I keep in the release and I
wasn't sure if I should put the GFDL on them, it didn't seem quite
right to me.  So I copied the notice from the www.fsf.org web page.
If I need to do something different for them let me know.  I need to
work on them anyway.  I plan to change them so they link to gNewSense
instead of Ubuntu.  In fact this reminded me I need to go through all
of the documentation and get it up to date, some of it is very out of
date.

This also brought up another question I have had: do the public
objects/data need some sort of copyright?  For example this web page
is generated from the public objects:
"http://www.worldwide-database.org/cgi-bin/list_files.cgi?md5";, does
it need some kind of a copyright notice?

(Note: I plan to add the gNewSense releases to that data in the near
future.  I was using Ubuntu at the time I started that and I used it
as an example.  I had hoped to add all of the major GNU/Linux
releases, but I had no idea how much work it was to do it all by
yourself.  I will definitely have to have help to accomplish that.  :)

Anyway, I would be more than happy to do another release if I didn't
get it quite right yet.  Just let me know.

Thanks again for all of your help
  -Scott