[Savannah-register-public] [task #7903] Submission of Chestnut Scientifi

From: Alexander Shulgin
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #7903] Submission of Chestnut Scientific Toolkit Family
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 20:09:29 +0000

(sent by mail)
(updated tarball attached)

> > 1. You have specified GPLv2 or later in the project submission, however
license headers indicate use of GPLv3 or later.  We can simply change the
version used in the project info to GPLv3 on approval.

> Yes, my intention was to license the software under the terms of GPLv3. I
misclicked.

OK, will be fixed on approval.

> > 2. Your tarball is missing a complete verbatim copy of the
license--please put it someplace in your tarball.  The convenient place is a
file named `COPYING' in the top level directory.

> I put a COPYING file in my source directory but the build script that makes
the tarball did not embed it. This has been fixed.

You seem to have two copies of GNU GPLv3 in a single COPYING file.  One
verbatim copy is enough.  You may correct this after approval. ;-)

> > 3. We don't recommend using phrase "All rights reserved" in copyright
statements as it implies/suggests proprietary copyright.  Please remove it
from your copyright headers.

> I should disclose that although we are committed to releasing all of our
source under the GPL, we believe that as owners of the copyright to the code,
we may sell non-free licenses for the code. Is that consistent with having
Savannah host the project?  (We understand that we may not re-license
contributions of others without permission.)

This is not directly against Savannah policies.  However, you have to ensure
that the free version you are going to host here is technically equivalent or
better than the non-free one.  Also, you should not advertise non-free
licenses for your code at Savannah.

Are you agree with the above?

> > 4. In the file `chestnut/hcluster/cluster.py' the copyright and license
information is far from the top of the file.  It's recommended to put this
information at the top as you do with other files.

> Sure. I'll do this but I think you're being a bit pedantic here. Perhaps
you could also comment on the naming of variables? How about my comma
placement in the documentation? Will every commit require approval by
Savannah?

This was just a recommendation--not a requirement.  No, we normally don't
review code after the project was approved.  Our mission is to teach people
about good software licensing practice, not enforce them.

Alex
PS: please use the tracker for replying--the registration process is not
email-driven. ;)

(file #15415)

Additional Item Attachment:

File name: chestnut-0.1-2008-04-07.tar.gz Size:24 KB