[Savannah-register-public] [task #7734] Submission of dyncall

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #7734] Submission of dyncall
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 22:09:48 +0000

> IANAL, but you aren't one either.

... but I did take the time to discuss this with the FSF licensing team.

> In fact, the licence text in use is exactly the same the
> OpenBSD project uses for newer code. That would mean that this
> detail makes the new OpenBSD source non-free, too.

Authors' intent is important, and the Pine authors clearly showed an intent
to make the license non-free. This, added to the latent ambiguity, is
primarily what made it non-free.

> Sorry, but this is just a bit too ridiculous - I didn't write
> this library to have legal problems by releasing it freely and
> non-closed. Furthermore the license in use has far less
> restrictions than the GPL or LGPL...  And yeah, in order to
> avoid any kind of license problem I did even take 2 minutes to
> paste the license text into every single file in the release.
>
> I'm not out for blood, and I'm taking this seriously, but hey,
> I enjoy doing a free release, and I'm sure that if you find a
> lawyer that wants to find a problem in the ISC license, he will
> find one for
> sure... (e.g. http://bsd.slashdot.org/bsd/07/01/15/1757235.shtml)

Geez, we just suggested to add "/or" somewhere in your license because it
caused troubles in the past..